If a woman does not keep pace with her companions,
perhaps it is because she hears a different drummer.
Let her step to the music which she hears, however measured or far away.

Thoreau (with a Conner twist)

All posts (including images and poetry) on this website are copyrighted by Sheila Conner.
Please do not use without permission.
Thank you.






Monday, May 27, 2013

White Sands and White Space


So, you might ask, "What do White Sands and White Space have in common?"

Many years back, I heard Spirit’s voice deep inside whisper, “Sheila, you really need more white space in your life.” Little did I know what that meant, and it took a number of years of “undoing” before I realized all that call was about.

I had a chance to revisit that “space” of time in my life recently when hubby and I visited White Sands, NM.  I had been encouraged to make it a stop on our trip, but didn’t realize the affect it would have on me.

Naturally, me being the inquisitive one, I wanted to make a trek to the top of one of the dunes, and I wanted hubby to go with me – a romantic kind of thing, you know– but he declined, and sent me off on my own.  Naturally, he encouraged my climb up a steep angle, teasing me with, “it’s easier than it looks”. NOT.  


(Hmmm...perhaps THIS really is more like it felt!)

But then he sent me off on my own to explore around the bend.

This was the first sight I encountered, “The desert shall bloom like a rose.”  


In all that white space was this singular plant, and seeing it caused my heart to leap.
 
I continued climbing.  It was quite a trudge through the sand, but at last I made it to the top of that large white mountain of sand


and I was overwhelmed with the quiet beauty of it all. I bowed to honor the White Space


then sat in its silence for a good long time.


I was so grateful wise hubby sent me off on my own. “There are just some things that need to be experienced alone.”



Word spoken in Silence.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Sheila! I have been to those dunes years ago, great memories!

    ReplyDelete