If a woman does not keep pace with her companions,
perhaps it is because she hears a different drummer.
Let her step to the music which she hears, however measured or far away.

Thoreau (with a Conner twist)

All posts (including images and poetry) on this website are copyrighted by Sheila Conner.
Please do not use without permission.
Thank you.






Saturday, March 13, 2010

One last word on Hildegard...





On Saturday, March 6, 13 women gathered in St. Timothy’s Parish Hall, to learn a little about the life of Hildegard of Bingen. One of the projects of the day was a community “paint-by-number” rendition of Hildegard’s vision of Ecclesia, Mother Church. We decided to paint her more like Hildegard’s vision, with her multi-colored skirt and purple cumberband. In our rendition of the vision, she holds the women who came together that day. Here we are, being held in the heart of Mother Church.


ECCLESIA, MOTHER CHURCH, as Hildegard saw her,was presented to Hildegard as “the bride, a queen clothed in many colors, each hue representing a different order within the Church. Ecclesia’s head gleams with a snowy, crystalline whiteness, (the priesthood); her bosom glows like the dawn (virginity), her waist is girded with royal purple (monasticism); and…she shines like a brilliant cloud (marriage). To illustrate the vision, the Rupertsberg artist departed more than usual from the text, but still represented Hildegard’s vision clearly…From her virginal breasts flames of love surge up to the heavens…she…stands with outstretched arms to welcome all who come to her.” (from Sister of Wisdom, by Barbara Newman)

I had so much fun preparing this day of prayer. I'm currently reading Matthew Fox's Creativity, Where the Divine and the Human Meet. He's a prolific writer and he comments in this book, "Peolple ask me: 'Why do you write so much? Are you addicted to seeing your name in print?' Hardly. I write because I am driven to know, and writing for me is a wonderful way to learn. I also write because the discipline it takes is good for my mind; it keeps it in shape and youthful and alive. I believe in exercising the virtue of curiosity. I write because of the joy involved in giving birth. Writing and the reading and study that accompany it are joyful experiences for me. The Spirit comes to me when I write and learn."

That's how I felt preparing for this day of prayer, as well as preparing for the Mandala Saturday Art Special. I loved the preparation time as much as the actual teaching time. I learned so much, and I felt Spirit's nearness as I listened and read and painted and learned myself. I love learning, and teaching someone else is a wonderful way to make sure the learning process continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment