If a woman does not keep pace with her companions,
perhaps it is because she hears a different drummer.
Let her step to the music which she hears, however measured or far away.

Thoreau (with a Conner twist)

All posts (including images and poetry) on this website are copyrighted by Sheila Conner.
Please do not use without permission.
Thank you.






Saturday, November 19, 2011

SEASONAL BLAHS

This time of year is hard for so many people--there's so many expectations that seem to fall flat, and so many memories of "better times". It surprises me sometimes that we keep holding onto a tradition that no longer carries much spiritual significance, yet brings so much "yuck" to so many people.

Today is a gray day, a perfect day for SoulCollage®. I've already been run over by that damned reindeer, and The Ghost of Christmas Past has already rattled my cage, so I thought I spend time SoulCollaging the Season--I've needed to for a long time.




THE GHOST OF CHRISTMAS PAST

I am the one who longs for Love to come with the key that unlocks the chains of the Ghost of Christmas Pasts. I've tried it seems forever to unlock the chains myself, but I can't seem to find the right key, so I wait. Love will come, then I'll be free.

I'm reading Ilia Delio's The Emergent Christ, in which she writes: Jesus consistently states that nostalgia or regret will thwart the unfolding reign of God. All those who put their hand ot the plow and look back are not fit for the kingdom of God; the reign of God is before us, not behind us. Elsewhere he says that it is important to follow him, to go forward rather than to dwell in the past:'Follow me, let the dead bury their own dead.'"


When I read that, I knew that she was talking to me--or Christ is.

The holiday season has been difficult for me for a very, very long time, and it seems no matter how hard I try, I get caught up in "what used to be".

I just posted on Facebook about one of my holiday season pet peeves--wanting "Christ back in Christmas". If Christ isn't in my Christmas, it's not "their" fault (whoever they are). I think Jesus would say, "Move FORWARD...Quit wanting what used to be and move forward. Learn to love what IS today." And I think he just might say that to us a Christians who long for the "good ole days". Our country has changed, and religion has changed. It's time for us to get with the program and let the new thing come--whatever it looks like.


RUNOVER AGAIN

One of Jim's favorite Christmas songs is "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer". I hate it. It's the way I feel a lot of the Season--what just hit me!?! Most of the time it feels like a mack truck instead of a reindeer, but it always surprises me when it hits me. I'm never prepared.

I believe in the healing power of SoulCollage®, and I believe in the power of Christ to heal. So, I've done my part (and will continue to), and I'll wait for Love to come. It will. That's the promise I wait for, Advent--Light will come again.

No comments:

Post a Comment