If a woman does not keep pace with her companions,
perhaps it is because she hears a different drummer.
Let her step to the music which she hears, however measured or far away.

Thoreau (with a Conner twist)

All posts (including images and poetry) on this website are copyrighted by Sheila Conner.
Please do not use without permission.
Thank you.






Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Paradox Continued...



In my spiritual reading this year the word "Eros" has come up a lot--especially in Cynthia Bourgeault's book on Mary Magdalene and 5th Way love (or self-emptying love; self as in ego). And Eros plays a big part in Pitman McGeehee's book, Paradox of Love. I've been in discussion with some special friends, and we decided that we had to re-define Eros--McGeehee does a great job of that in his book.


But as I played around on my computer trying to find pictures of Eros, I came across the story of his birth--yes, I know. My knowledge of Greek mythology is very small, so everything I find is a treasure! I didn't know that Eros's mom was Aphrodite, the Greek Goddess of Love, nor did I know that his father was Aeros, the Greek God of War (mayhem and destruction--talk about PARADOX! Eros might well be defined as a child of conflicting feelings!


Whatever! I have learned through the years that conflicting feelings CAN BE creative, that light and dark can mix, that chaos can bring great beauty. When the dark gets really dark, and the world and its wars gets really tough, with enough space, something new can be born.


Perhaps that's another meaning of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment