If a woman does not keep pace with her companions,
perhaps it is because she hears a different drummer.
Let her step to the music which she hears, however measured or far away.

Thoreau (with a Conner twist)

All posts (including images and poetry) on this website are copyrighted by Sheila Conner.
Please do not use without permission.
Thank you.






Tuesday, January 19, 2010




This was a big day for me. Through a synchronistic scenario of events, I knew it was time to dedicate my art and my studio to the Creator, who has given both to me as gifts. It was a precious time. Liz came as my priest, and Nancy and my mom came as "witnesses". Nancy gave me the beautiful cross, that had, too, been changed in the fire.

Liz did a beautiful ritual of blessing, including this prayer:
O God, in the beginning your Word created the heavens and the earth, and when your Word became flesh, he worked with his hands in the carpenter shop in Nazareth: Be present, we pray, with Sheila who works and creates in this place, that laboring as an artist together with you, she may share the joy of your creation; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

I responded by giving back to God the basket of "first fruits", the tools of my art and my prayer, then read this poem that I wrote back in October:

The Good Land

(Longing, we say, because desire is full
of endless distances. Robert Hass)

Having lived as a wandering Aramean in foreign lands
and not belonging
feeling alienated
stranger
non-fit
for the most part voice silenced
the value of personhood denied
and gifts counted as useless and unnecessary--

at least that’s the way it’s sometimes seemed.

Until now.

Divine Love has delivered
and set me in this good land.
Like the missing piece of a jig-saw puzzle
it seems “home” has found me.

And I have been brought here.

In all the stumbling and missteps
the blocked doorways and blind allies
Love has worked quietly unseen guiding each step
to this good dwelling place.

I didn’t know

I wasn’t ready

Until now.

How good it feels to be home.

(wandering Aramean, Deut.26.1-11)

I am so blessed to have this space, and these frinds, and the grace of my God. Blessed be.

No comments:

Post a Comment