If a woman does not keep pace with her companions,
perhaps it is because she hears a different drummer.
Let her step to the music which she hears, however measured or far away.

Thoreau (with a Conner twist)

All posts (including images and poetry) on this website are copyrighted by Sheila Conner.
Please do not use without permission.
Thank you.






Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Day 15 The ABC's of Advent, Letter O



No doubt about it; the letter for today is "O", and the word is "open".

This was one of the first mandalas I did in February of 2004. I knew I was working:

James 1:5-8: If any of you is lacking wisdom, ask God, who gives to all enerously and ungrudgingly, and it will be given you. But ask in faith, never doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind; for the doubter being double-minded and unstable in every way, must not expect to received anything from the Lord.

I had always considered a "double-minded man" to be a person who couldn't make up their mind, one who sat on the fence, trying to figure out which way to go, but on the morning that I drew this mandala, and listened to my heart speaking, I knew that, for me, a double-minded person is a "black and white" person, an "either/or" person. As I drew this and colored in the black spaces, I heard Wisdom speaking inside my Self, "Those dark places in your mind? Those closets with the doors closed so that the light doesn't enter? All you have to do is open the door, and the Light will flood in."

I always believed that if once didn't see in black and white, she saw "gray"; she would be "muddy minded". But as I've listened to this Mandala teaching me over the years, I've learned that when I can open my mind and my heart, instead of black and white, I see in "color", beautiful deversified color. It's exciting to see life in "technicolor". It's freeing to be able to say, "both/and", instead of "either/or".

I still have to practice. Places in me still want to close off the Light, and believe I have "it" all, but this picture keeps coming to me whispering, "Open the door to your mind and your heart Beloved, and don't be afraid of all the beautiful colors you'll find."

No comments:

Post a Comment