If a woman does not keep pace with her companions,
perhaps it is because she hears a different drummer.
Let her step to the music which she hears, however measured or far away.

Thoreau (with a Conner twist)

All posts (including images and poetry) on this website are copyrighted by Sheila Conner.
Please do not use without permission.
Thank you.






Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Day 23 The ABC's of Advent, Letter W

And Day 23--caught up again. Blessed Be!

W is for Womb...
W is for Wisdom...

The Womb has probably been the most used image of God for me for a while now. Even without me realizing it, and probably since the last year at the Cenacle, 2007. In prayer, I feel encircled and held. In fear and aloneness, I feel encircled and held. And constantly I hear, "Safe am I".

Ordinarily I don't like the fog. I discovered a few years back that I'm a tad claustrophobic, and the fog has always felt stifling, especially driving in it. I usually find myself anxious and stressed in the fog, slightly unable to breathe. But the last couple of months, the fog we've experienced this Fall has felt delicious. I've felt carried in the Womb, safe, held, encircled. What makes the difference? Haven't a clue, except it's been really wonderful.

A few weeks back, we engaged a passage in Romans, where Paul talks about "the flesh". Jim Clark (who put together the format of TAEHS), simply clarified that Paul's use of the term, "the flesh" probably was what we refer to as "the self". And something just popped for me. I understand that language. And for several days, I lingered in the vision of this mandala, the little self held inside the Great Self, the Womb.

And MY connection to the Source of all life? My connection is Jesus, and the Spirit of Wisdom that flowed through him, into me, the Christ Spirit. That connection holds me safely always inside something More. And no matter how many "new birth" experiences I have, I'm always the tiny self, being held by the Grander Self, safe in this Great Womb of life.

AND Wisdom? I can't let the moment go without expressing gratitude for Lady Wisdom. She leads me, watches over me, and invites me into friendship with the Holy. That eye of hers is never condemning--she isn't staring at me, checking a list to make sure I'm being a good girl. Instead, she is every watchful, rushing in with her lantern of Light when the way gets too dark. One of the most delicious gifts of the catholic world, is the book of Wisdom that was stricken from the Protestant bible. It's a shame. It's one of my favorite books of scripture. Lady Wisdom, Sophia, Proverb...She Is.

Blessed Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment