If a woman does not keep pace with her companions,
perhaps it is because she hears a different drummer.
Let her step to the music which she hears, however measured or far away.

Thoreau (with a Conner twist)

All posts (including images and poetry) on this website are copyrighted by Sheila Conner.
Please do not use without permission.
Thank you.






Friday, December 25, 2009

Day 25 The ABC's of Advent, Letter Y


Y = yeast...just a little bit. That's all it takes, and a little bit changes everything. The ordinary becomes extraordinary.

That's what Andy reminded us last night in his sermon. It was just an ordinary night. Two ordinary people--another unwed teenager with another unexpected pregnancy (it's been happening forever, you know). High taxes (that's been happening forever, too). The displaced poor who had no place to go. The upper and middle class both refused them. Just another ordinary story. Except for the angels.

But Andy reminded us last night, that even angels speaking to us, bringing us messages, isn't extraordinary. They come to us all the time; we just don't have eyes to see or ears to hear. They speak a little word into our lives, and it changes everything. Just a little Yeast--that's what the Reign of God is all about.

And that's what this art journal has been for me this Advent Season. I have grumbled and complained about Christmas as far back as I can remember. I start aching in October, knowing "it's" coming, and I'll just have to get through it.

But an "angel" spoke--I thought it was just Andy, but it must have been an angel speaking through Andy, just a common ordinary word, "It's the Advent Season, when we look for light." I heard it, and it's changed everything. This ordinary season has been extraordinarily delicious for me. A big, fat crusty piece of Bread, feeding my hungry soul. And this Christmas morning, I am FULL! Satisfied. Content. Happy. And this has been the best Advent Season I've ever experienced.

Angles speak "yeast", and the Reign of God comes. Selah!

No comments:

Post a Comment