If a woman does not keep pace with her companions,
perhaps it is because she hears a different drummer.
Let her step to the music which she hears, however measured or far away.

Thoreau (with a Conner twist)

All posts (including images and poetry) on this website are copyrighted by Sheila Conner.
Please do not use without permission.
Thank you.






Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Day 16 The ABC's of Advent, Letter P



I had already picked several P words for today, but a few days ago, I happened upon this poem written by Denise Levertov, entitled "I learned that her name was Proverb."

And the secret names
of all we meet who lead us deeper into our labyrinth
of valleys and mountains, twisting valleys
and steeper mountains--
their hidden names are always,
like Proverb, promises:
Rune, Omen, Fable, Parable,
those we meet for only
one crucial moment, gaze to gaze,
or for years know and don't recognize

but of whom later a word
sings back to us as if from high upon leaves,
still near but beyond sight

drawing us from tree to tree
towards the time and the unknown place
where we shall know
what it is to arrive.

As I read her poem, I thought of my own introduction to "Sophia"...we both were surprised when we discovered the secret names of those who led us through our personal labyrinths toward home. I too wrote a poem to Sophia, but for today, I will acknowledge Levertov's Proverb, for she has now become another guide on my journey. Whether she's called Proverb or Parable, Rune, Omen, Fable or Sophia, meeting "her" has deepened my own sense of purpose, and brought me closer this day to that lasting Place of Peace. I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment