If a woman does not keep pace with her companions,
perhaps it is because she hears a different drummer.
Let her step to the music which she hears, however measured or far away.

Thoreau (with a Conner twist)

All posts (including images and poetry) on this website are copyrighted by Sheila Conner.
Please do not use without permission.
Thank you.






Thursday, December 3, 2009

Day 3 The ABC's of Advent - Letter C


My C words for Advent are compassion, community, and Christ-mass (made that one up).
Someone told me a long time ago, that in Scripture, one of the words that compassion comes from is the same word as "womb". Growing up, compassion was described as coming from the "bowels", but when I heard the "womb" thought process, it made much more sense of me. There is something about feeling someone's pain or circumstances from the womb. A mother knows.
I reacently learned of the Charter for Compassion, and was reminded again that compassion is at the center of ALL religions, including my own. Just imagine, if we all could remember that we are "one", and if that "one" human community could act always from a heart of compassion for each other and the planet itself, the Christ-Mass would always be sung. Let it begin in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment