If a woman does not keep pace with her companions,
perhaps it is because she hears a different drummer.
Let her step to the music which she hears, however measured or far away.

Thoreau (with a Conner twist)

All posts (including images and poetry) on this website are copyrighted by Sheila Conner.
Please do not use without permission.
Thank you.






Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Day 1 The ABC's of Advent, Letter A

A is for Advent, Adventitious, Adventure, Adventuress, Adventurous, and AUDACIOUS!

Christmas hasn't been my cup of tea for a very, very long time. I want that to change, to shift in some way. Recently, Andy mentioned in one of his sermons, that this ISN'T Christmas season, it's ADVENT season, the season we wait for Light. Something in that comment settled deep in me, and somewhere inside, I felt a shift coming. So, I've waited. I thought it might help to make some soul collage cards about Christmas, but that just hasn't happened--my "stuff" kept getting in the way. So, I waited some more. For several years now, art has been my prayer, my therapy, my tool for healing. Images are transformative, so I've felt that my answer would be found in art some way, but I didn't know how, so I kept waiting.

Yesterday I went to Hastings to buy magazines for Soul Collage, and I found this wonderful little book on art journaling. I spent time looking through it last night, and reading through some art journaling blogs, and something "felt" right--this is it. But how do I start?

I've journaled for years, and I've even tried keeping some kind of journal using art, but nothing's every clicked. Then, this morning, I woke up with "the answer"--at least for now. This is December 1st. Perhaps I could do an Advent alphabet, using words to jump in. I love words, and this seemed like a good idea for me.

So, I rushed into my studio and rumaged through some drawers looking for old sketch books that might work. The first one I came to just happened to have 26 pages. Wow...this is meant to be. So, here I go. These are the first two entries in my new journal for Advent 2009. I'm looking for Light. I'm looking for a shift. I think maybe this just might be a tool for me this year. I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment